Frequently Asked Questions
What are your events like?
Chapters hold several events each year, which may focus on any aspect of wine. At our events you might:
· “Travel” the world, sampling the wines of South Africa, Austria, New Zealand, Italy, Spain, France or the United States.
· Explore a single varietal such as Cabernet Franc, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, or Riesling.
· Learn about tasting components, such as how the proper glass enhances the enjoyment of wine.
· Enjoy “Wine at America’s Table,” an annual event for which each chapter chooses how it will celebrate American wines.
Our speakers include local, regional, and national winemakers, wine educators, wine writers, and others.
Events may be held at restaurants, wine bars, wineries, cooking schools, wine shops and event facilities. Great food is always a prominent feature!
Both women and men are welcome. Our common bonds are a love of wine, a desire to learn about wine hands-on, and the enjoyment of wine shared with others in a welcoming, friendly setting.
Do I have to join to attend WWS events?
We’d love you to join WWS, but non-members are welcome to attend most events. Some events are ‘members only’, or members are given the opportunity to sign up before the event opens to everyone.
What do I get by becoming a member?
- A discount on all chapter and national events (typically at least $15 per event)
• Invitations to all local chapter and national events, including special ‘members only’ events
• The quarterly national WWS newsletter with interesting articles on wine, food and health
• To attend any WWS meeting across the country at the member price.
What's the difference between Aficionado and Professional members?
Aficionado members are wine consumers who want to learn more about wine. Their annual dues are $45, and they receive all the member benefits described above.
Professional members are typically wine industry professionals. For annual dues of $95, they receive all the benefits of Aficionado membership, plus a Professional Member Directory and invitations to ‘Professional member-only’ events or roundtables. WWS also offers corporate memberships and memberships for college students. Student annual dues are $30.
What else does Women for WineSense do?
Women for WineSense chapters provide scholarships to support women pursuing education and careers in wine. We also raise funds and make donations in support of local and national charities.